Saturday, May 30, 2009

Blue Fauxhawk

Thanks for the subject line, Chris. I didn't know there was an official name for a pseudo mohawk. Thursday was the kids' last day of school, so Michael celebrated with some blue hair gel to go with the tie-dye shirts his class wore to the MN Zoo. I chaperoned the field trip, but this is the only photo I've got of it. You can't see the color or spike very well. Later, Michael stuck his head in one of the big fountains at the zoo which pretty much killed the 'do.
In other exciting news of this past week, we put back together the park bench I just refurbished. Perhaps because my projects usually end up unseemlier than I planned, I didn't think to get a 'before' picture. But I'll post an 'after' shot, because the bench actually turned out pretty good.
The metal was originally painted gray but had rusted, and most of the stain had worn off the wood. We took it apart, I spray painted the frame, and power sanded before staining and varnishing the wood. Ta-da. All without electrocuting or impaling myself.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Do they allow head dunking in the fountains or was that a spontaneous act of weirdness?

Mary said...

Both, sorta...these are just fountains that shoot up from the ground, and kids play around 'em on warm days. But I think he was motivated by weirdness.